Friday 20 September 2024

Films I Keep on My Computer

It wasn´t always so illegal to download media for free in Czech Republic. Or at least everyone did it, so nobody cared. It´s more or less banned now, so we have to settle for watching online movies from pirate servers, but I still keep a few films downloaded. I just really like watching them.


Whisper of The Heart

My favourite Ghibli film. Since I saw it for the first time, I was fascinated by the era – contemporary Japan for it´s time. It might be not as interesting as Howl´s world for example, but it´s just far for me. You can see how society changes in subtle ways, such as Shizuku´s sister getting a computer. I also like the coming-of-age story, the characters are charming and feel real. The real winner is a vibe and animation though – it´s very calming.




Midnight Cowboy

 My all time favourite, I even made an analysis of this piece for my entrance exams. It´s about a small town guy from Texas that wants to make it big in New York City. Unfortunatelly, this is not a fairytale. He wants to make living as a prostitute, but since he is not the brighest and is tad bit too nice (at least before life bites him). He starts living with one of the people who tried to take advance of him at first, sick and always scheming Ratso, and their connection is the only warm part of this raw 60s classic.
It´s the first X-rated film that ever won an Oscar and it was a part of tiny drama when both Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight were nominated for best actor at the same ceremony – neither of them won. It was a pity win for John Wayne instead. 



My Beautiful Laundrette

 This entry is much more heartwarming, you can even call it my comfort film. Our main character is a second generation son of Pakistani immigrants Omar. He dropped out of college so he could care for his father, and now he is stuck in home, due to miss Thatcher and her policies. He starts working for his uncle, which is not always legal and he would probably get stuck in his family drama, marry his cousin (actual plot point) and spend his life fighting his strangely antagonistic second uncle.
But then he meets Johhny. Or he meets him again – they used to be inseparable in high school, but then Johnny joined neo-fascists. This is not your typical love story, this is a study of class, family and feelings of inadequacy.
It´s such a good watch, mainly due to amazing cast. Johnny is played by none other than best actor of all time, Daniel Day-Lewis and I have to say, he is pretty handsome in his punk era.


Source

Withnail and I

 Another British classic. If you wanna die, you can take a shot every time someone drinks. Or just everytime Withnail drinks. It´s that kind of movie.
The story follows two unemployed (maybe even unemployable) actors as they leave their apartment in Camden Town, London and go to a vacation in a country side. The quotes are flying, the situations are getting more and more absurd, Withnail is more and more deranged and titular I… well… His nervous smile is getting more charming everytime it appears. Which is a lot.
This film can be super relatable if you were ever in the right (or wrong) situation. Few weeks ago, it made me realize some changes that I should make, because this flick definitely isn´t a life manual.




Samotáři/Loners

Maybe the only Czech film you actually need to see. It´s uncompromisingly cool, the tempo is fast and consistent and the characters are real. That doesn´t mea nit can´t get absurd – it will. If you liked Run, Lola Run, you will love this. It´s a techno rave, but not on speed. You just vibe there.
As for the story, our compsite část of main characters randomly meets and influences each other, often with surprising results. It´s probably the most realistic representation of being in young 20s I have ever seen.
Also, the wardrobes, the soundtrack, the locations – if you enjoy late 90s and early 2000s this may be your choice for next movie night.
Also, it´s on Netflix I think?


We are on fire!      Not at all.... Quite the oposite!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Films I Keep on My Computer

It wasn´t always so illegal to download media for free in Czech Republic. Or at least everyone did it, so nobody cared. It´s more or less ba...